On Thursday there will be elections in the Manchester area including ward by-elections, Manchester Central constituency and the Police Commissioner elections.
Tens of thousands of UNISON members including hundreds from this Branch took part in the TUC ‘March for an Alternative’ only a few weeks ago.
These elections are a further opportunity for every member to vote against this Coalition Government:
- Against the further cuts in already decimated Council funding planned by this Government
- Against the proposed attacks on our hospitals such as the suggested closure of Trafford Accident And Emergency
- Against further privatisation of our NHS such as the transfer of patient travel services and ambulance staff to Arriva
- Against the imposition of Universal Benefits which will cut the income of the young, disabled, pensioners, those who are ill and the vulnerable
- Against the cuts and privatisation in our Police support staff and probation services
Because of past disappointments some members view all parties as being the same.
But experience of this Government and its loathing of public services and contempt for working people proves there are very real differences.
The Government is hoping a low turnout will benefit right wing candidates, particularly in the Commissioner elections.
Every member is urged to use their vote in these elections on Thursday and to encourage family colleagues and friends to do the same.
This Coalition Government is looking to continue its ruinous ‘austerity ‘ policies which are destroying our economy, services and our communities.
Take the time this Thursday to Vote for an Alternative.